Skip Navigation Linksdefault


KIHA Heading2.tifNews copy.jpg 


will open on MAY 16 for Free Museum Day.

Free admission, an activity, and you get to view our new displays.


April 1861 - "…the Island will send her gallant company of Citizen Soldiers to the seat of war. We feel confident no troops will win more trophys of victory or bring home more honorable scars than the Union Guards. Well may we expect much from them. Their drill and equipments are perfect, their officers of proved courage and ability. Their firing is precise. But the maneuver they most excel in is the remarkable swiftness with which they can retreat to a safe position under cover. May success go with them. May they return again to their homes and fight their battles over again in the home circle. Exalted is the Citizen Soldier who leaves the endearments of home for the defense of its land [and] inmates, to encounter the storms of war, and when peace and victory shall rest upon his standard, return again and lay aside the implements of destruction for the pruning hook and grape shears of domestic life. Hail Columbia." ​From the book: Kelleys Island 1810-1861 – The courageous, poignant & often quirky lives of island pioneers by Leslie Korenko – Available in the museum gift shop.

New This year copy.jpg 

tory-gabriel.jpg​​Since this year our displays will feature sport fishing and ice fishing, our Annual Meeting guest speaker will be Tory Gabriel, from Sea Grant/OSU who will talk about The History of Lake Erie Fishing. He is part of the research teams studying Lake Erie and will have current information to share as well.

 A little about MR. TORY A. GABRIEL - Tony is the Extension Educator with the Ohio Sea Grant Program, The Ohio State University. He has worked  Stone Lab as a Biological Field Station Assistant. He grew up in Lancaster, OH (just south of Columbus) and graduated from Bloom-Carroll High School. His field of research is Applied Fisheries & Life Science Education. His favorite thing about Stone Lab is that "the classes are inherently hands-on and field oriented, so they're a blast. Students can't help1997 6 9 Roy Erne ice fishing.jpg but be motivated and learn about the unique ecosystem around them."​

And try your hand at Ice Fishing (without the ice) in our new interactive display. 

​This is Roy Erne showing off his stringer of fish.